Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What is a husband?

Today while listening to a a podcast from Family Live Today the speaker was talking about the definition husband. Every time I hear a speaker start talking about the origins of a word I get flashbacks from the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". If you haven't seen it, you must. It is great and you will understand what I am referring to and you will have new thoughts about Windex too.

The speaker was talking about how "husband" was an agricultural word. I have heard about animal husbandry, of which I always have to chuckle because it sounds really perverted. Sorry, there are parts of my brain that never grew up. Simply husband refers to someone who takes care of, a manager, a steward. You get the point. When I named my blog here, I really did not understand what the word husband meant. I simply would have thought a man married to a woman. Now as it relates to our society and me today, I want to be a husband. I think that is what I have been created for, that is who I am. I love to be a good care taker of my wife, my family, of all things that have been given to me. Notice I didn't say "of things that are mine". I believe and occasionally have to remind myself that I really don't own anything. I have been loaned my wife, my kids, family, friends, and many things while I walk this earth. It is my hope and prayer that I am always an example of a good husband and I can encourage other men to be the same. I think it is what all men that are married have been called to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment