Monday, January 19, 2009

Help Wanted

My fairly new friend, Jeremy has talked me into running a half marathon in 10 weeks. This might end up putting a strain on our friendship. We will see.

I have officially started my training today (queue the theme from Rocky here) I am going to have to get serious about this because I have never trained for something like this. I am going to need a significant support base for this, mainly in the area of eating. Lets face it, most of us have our vices. For some it is smoking, others its cursing, some it is sex, mine is eating. I love to eat. At times I live to eat. Fortunately I am active and have managed to keep my weight to a respectable level even though my Wii Fit says I am borderline obese (stupid game!). Like Superman and kryptonite, is me and chocolate. I need superpower to walk past a candy dish with anything chocolate in it. I should probably start a new 12 step program call Chocolate Anonymous. The chapter I belong to would be CAT - CA of Texas :-).

My 2nd weekness is simply endurance. I am pretty disciplined about getting off the couch and working out or running, but when it gets boring or too hard I quit easily. I know it is all mental and this is where friends and family are a big help. To know they are cheering me on or they depend on me can make me push past the grey matter problems and reach new levels of endurance. I hope to hear from my thousands of readers, not only encourangement but also making me accountable. I hate to go back on my word. When I say I am going to do something I am going to do it.

I have recently heard of some high school friends that have recently done what I am trying to do. So if they can do it, I now I can too.

Stay tuned, it should be interesting to see what comes of this.

4 comments:

  1. Half marathon? Why not a 5K fun run or walk? Anything with the word marathon in it is for people that enjoy punishing themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cheered for you 20+ years ago and I'll cheer for you now! If anyone can do it, it's you!! Now all I have to do is try to squeeze in my old cheerleading uniform! :)
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm really impressed! That's quite a goal, but I know you can do it. You've always been a rather stubborn guy. You take after your Grandma Jones! (certainly not your aunt) Go for it and I'll keep cheering you on, but not in any cheerleader outfit! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude hang in there. enjoyed the long run yesterday. i appreciate you stepping and doing this. its really helped hold me accountable. oh ya and when we do finish the half we are hitting a sushi buffet, my treat!

    ReplyDelete