Tuesday, March 10, 2009

How can a terminal illness change your life?

Ever thought a terminal illness could save your life? No, sorry I am not talking about me. I am very healthy right now and very thankful for that.

I was reading my wife's April issue of Good Housekeeping. Not something I usually do for obvious reasons. Michael J. Fox was on the cover so it caught my eye. I read his first book and was impressed with his outlook on life after being diagnosed with the terrible disease, Parkinson's. He has written another book called "Always Looking Up". In his interview he had some amazing things to say that I wanted to share.

He really looks at his initial diagnosis as a turning point in his life. While most people would think that it was a bad turning point, he looks at is as a point where he really began to live. He says his wife and him laugh at people that come up to them with very somber faces and offer their condolenses. He claims they are having more fun now than ever in their marriage and family.

His thoughts on marriage: "Keep the fights clean and the sex dirty" - I could not have said it better, myself

His thoughts on what life throws at you: "... look at the choices you have as apposed to the choices that have been taken away from you. Because in those choices , there are whole worlds of strength and new ways to look at things." later he says "... we are all dying from the moment we are born. This is not just rehearsal" . Sound like some good wisdom.

His thoughts on his situation: based on a birthday card he saw that said, if you did not know how old you are, how old do you think you are?" Michael changed the thought to "If you didn't know how sick you were, how sick would you think were?" - hmmmm some very good insight on how to live.

The absolute best thing he says: "For everything this disease has taken , something with greater value has been given" - now that is the way to think!

I am reminded again about how this thing called life works. Much of what happens to us and around us, we have no control over. However we can control how we respond. In our response, there lies the outcome. When bad things come I can choose to be bitter or I can choose to look for the good that will come out of the situation.

To read the article go to Good House Keeping Magazine

Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment